Awesome Con Announces Full Schedule of Events
Three Days Packed with Special Guest Appearances, Industry Expert Panels, Exclusive Screenings, and More Fill the Walter E. Washington Convention Center June 16-18
Washington, DC (June 13, 2017) – , Washington DC's Comic Con, is proud to announce three days of programming complete with panels, workshops, celebrity appearances, and more, taking over the Walter E. Washington Convention Center from June 16-18. This year, Awesome Con attendees will have access to specialized sections including Future Con, presented in partnership with the Smithsonian, featuring more intellectually stimulating and entertaining content than ever, and robust family-friendly programming called Awesome Con Jr., presented in partnership with Nickelodeon. Attendees can start planning their Awesome Con experience and view the full schedule online at:
"This year we've doubled down on our programming efforts," said Awesome Con founder Ben Penrod. "From Future Con, to Awesome Con Jr, to our LGBT creators showcase Pride Alley, and to our most robust celebrity guest list yet, Awesome Con has grown by leaps and bounds into a fan convention unlike any other."
Highlights from Awesome Con 2017 include:
Celebrity & Comic Guests
Hear from some of the biggest influencers from the world of pop culture and comic books at panels, screenings, Q&As, and more. Events include:
· Tech of Batman Panel with , & (1:30PM – June 17 – Room 150) – Capullo and Snyder, the creative duo behind today's Batman comics, join engineers and experts in technology and intelligence to look at the plausibility of replicating Batman in real life. Panelists will examine Batman's endurance, tech, and more to determine what's real and what's best left to fiction.
· Explores Time and Space (10:30AM – June 17 – Main Stage) – Actor David Tennant, who 'visited' the furthest futures while playing The Doctor on BBC's Doctor Who, joins experts Dr. Grant Tremblay and Dr. Matt Shindell on Awesome Con's Main Stage to discuss the outer reaches of the galaxy. They'll cover topics including Doctor Who, what's really going on out there among the stars, and answer questions from the audience. Seating begins at 9:30 AM.
· : Meet the Director of Baby Driver (2:00PM – June 17 – Main Stage) – Meet Edgar Wright, the director of popular film juggernauts including Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Shaun of the Dead, and get a first look at his new film Baby Driver. Wright will share insight into his career and the creation of Baby Driver, with giveaways and extra surprises planned for fans. Hosted by Felicia Day.
· The Guild Reunion with , , , , and (11:30AM – June 18 – Room 146) – Cast members of The Guild, the award-winning original web series, reunite to talk about working with each other, their careers, and new projects, and answer audience questions.
· Experience Japan! (1:00PM – June 17 – Room 154) – Hosted by the Embassy of Japan, this panel seeks to help participants understand the influence of Japanese culture on American pop culture. Explore traditional Japanese culture, play Japanese games, and meet the embassy's very own therapeutic robot, PARO.
· Representation Matters with , & (3:30PM – June 16 – Room 152) – How important is it to see characters and creators that look like you? Join Identity Comics Studio and the "Loading Snacks" crew for a discussion on diversity in media, from the characters leading stories to the creators behind them.
· Comics Conversation: Collections and Preservation at the Library of Congress (11:00AM – June 17 – Room 150) – Join Library of Congress staff members for a panel discussion about the comics collections at the Library. Specialists from the Library's newspaper, graphic art, and popular art conservation teams share collection highlights, insights on comics conservation, and suggest how attendees can utilize the Library's comics collection.
· StarTalk Live! with & (8:00PM – June 16 – Main Stage) – Colonel Chris Hadfield, former commander of the International Space Station, and award-winning actor and comedian Scott Adsit (Veep, 30 Rock) co-host a special edition of award-winning talk show StarTalk Live!, bridging the intersection between pop culture and science with humor and passion.
· Brave New Girls: Women in STEM (5:00PM – June 17 – Room 146) – Some of the greatest scientific advances in history have been made by women, but girls are seldom encouraged to explore the sciences. Future Con presents a panel of scientists jointly discussing the achievements of female scientists, women's roles in STEM today, and the need for advocacy to create the next generation of female scientists, engineers, and astronauts. With speakers from NASA, the National Science Foundation, and more. Hosted by Nerdist's Jessica Chobot.
· IBM Watson: Superman or Supercomputer? Making Money with Artificial Intelligence (5:30PM – June 16 – Room 146) – IBM's Artificial Intelligence creation Watson, which made its debut on Jeopardy! in 2011, amazed American audiences and today is an open platform for millions of users and developers. Dr. Marc Teerlink, IBM's Chief Business Strategist, takes the stage to discuss what Watson represents for AI progress worldwide.
· NASA's Space Lasers (4:00PM – June 16 – Room 143) – Explore the latest laser technology and the key science behind missions helping us investigate our home planet and beyond. Engineers and scientists will take you behind the scenes of missions like the Ice, Cloud, and Land Elevation Satellite 2 launching with green lasers in 2018, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter currently orbiting the Moon, and more.
Awesome Con Jr
· GeekDad Celebrates Father's Day: Raising Geek Generation 2.0 (1:30PM – June 18 – Room 149) – Join some of the writers from GeekDad.com and their kids for a discussion about raising the next generation of geeks. Topics covered will include introducing various fandoms to kids, sharing old and new geeky passions, and determining what's age-appropriate.
· Padawan Lightsaber Training presented by Saber Guild Corellia (5:45PM – June 17 – Backlot Stage) - Adults and their 'Padawans' can join Saber Guild Corellia to learn how to wield a lightsaber and stave off the Dark Side on the Backlot stage.
· Kids Costume Parade presented by The Emoji Movie (1:00PM – June 18 – Backlot Stage) – Awesome Con encourages budding costume designers to strut their stuff in custom outfits at the Kids Costume Parade presented by The Emoji Movie. Participation is limited to the first 30 kids (and their parents) who register at the Backlog stage 30 minutes before the parade.
· Let's Go LEGO! (1:00PM – June 17 – Awesome Con Jr Stage) – Cartoonist John Gallagher shows you and your kids how to draw LEGO versions of your favorite characters. Come expand your art skills and take home the art as a souvenir.
· Making LGBT+ Representation Matter in Fiction (5:00PM – June 16 – Room 144) – Engage in a lively conversation about LGBTQ+ characters in fiction and what creators are doing, or not doing, to foster representation.
· A History of LGBTQ+ Representation in Comic Books & Television (June 17 – 12:30PM – Room 144) – Learn about the history of LGBTQ+ representation in Nerd Culture through discussion of the most iconic LGBTQ+ characters in anime, comic books, video games, and television. The important dialogue will conclude with thoughts on the importance of LGBTQ+ characters in the media and pop culture.
· Pokémon, Musicals, & Gay with Voice Actor Jamie McGonnigal (4:30PM – June 17 – Room 144) – Fans will have the opportunity to discuss Jamie McGonnigal's impressive resume including his voice work on Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, his global LGBTQ+ activism, and his career as a Broadway producer. From questions about how to get started in voice acting to how to come out to your high school anime club – nothing is off the table!
· NRG at Awesome Con (11:00AM-2:00PM – June 18 – East Salons G-I, Booth 16) - Fans of video games and esports will have a unique chance to meet players from NRG Esports' Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) team at Awesome Con on Sunday, June 18. Events DC, the official convention and sports authority for the District of Columbia, will host the NRG CS:GO team's visit in Awesome Con's Video Game Room in East Salons G-I from 11:00AM to 12:00PM for a live gaming experience, followed by an autograph session in the show's Exhibit Hall at booth 16 from 1:00PM to 2:00PM.
And here's a few more local ties that I noted:
Celebrating Five Years of Awesomeness
6/16/2017 / 3:30 PM – 4:15 PM / 103
It's Awesome Con's fifth year! Join Awesome Con founder, Ben Penrod, for a look at what the first Awesome Con looked like and what the Awesome Con of the future looks like!
Panelist: Ben Penrod
Building a Better Batcave! with John Gallagher
6/16/2017 / 6:00 PM – 6:45 PM / Awesome Con Jr.
You are part of Batman's trusted team of engineers and interior designers. He has just tasked you with a very important job. Working together, you must design and draw the blueprints for a new Batcave!
The Advent of a New/Old Comic Company — C3 Comics
6/16/2017 / 6:30 PM – 7:15 PM / 154
Even though we've been around for almost 20 years, few have ever heard of C3 Comics. And it's not your fault, it's ours. We entered the Comic Indie Market thinking that we could take it over in one fell swoop; change the industry with just our imagination and boundless ambition. Little did we know that the comic book industry is actually an industry, and that hopes and dreams only get you so far. Join us and as we formally introduce the Indie creators, and company that's finally ready to make it's mark in the comic industry. Broaden your horizons. Read C3 Comics.
Panelists: Alan Cole, David Welcher, Jose Loeri, Raymond Francis, Douglas Pendleton, Robert Spencer
Awesome Con Short Film Fest
6/16/2017 / 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM / 144 A
Finish your day of insanity at Awesome Con by grabbing some popcorn, all your friends, and a seat, as Joe Carabeo(Director, Astray Productions, Project Resolution) and Otessa Marie Ghadar(Director, 2020 Production, DC Web Fest Founder) bring to Awesome Con for the first time, an Awesome Con Short Film Festival! Check out on the fringe films that have been making waves by Otessa Marie Ghadar, Rick Spears, Matthew Lucas, Michele Lombardi, Danny Caporaletti, and Joe Carabeo. Grab your seat fast for this exclusive, first time, Awesome Con mini film festival.
Panelists: Joe Carabeo, Otessa Marie Ghadar, Danny Caporaletti, Rick Spears, Matthew Lucas, Michele Lombardi
PURE:THE MOVIE TEASER
6/16/2017 / 9:00 PM – 9:45 PM / 144 BC
PURE is an epic tale of ingrained racism and the evils of inequality – a project where models get body painted to become the characters of a graphic novel and a feature length movie.
The movie is based on a fumetti style graphic novel named PURE. A story built around the small nation of Seyns. It's governed by 7 feuding Western defined families(Baum, Cassidy, Dolle', Kindris, Rome, Mundi and Slaven); each with unique characteristics(heritage, social norms, cloning, ethical values, traditional customs, religious beliefs, political systems, artifacts and technologies). They don the ornate clothing and jewelry of money, beauty, and corruption. Their golden exterior and sky blue eyes belie any preoccupation with altruism, for the commoners serve as mere stepping-stones to money, power and useless things.
Panelists: Anthony Dortch, Grant Collins, Charlie Belle, Sha Golanski, & Gazelle Powers
Using Comics to Tell the History of D.C.
6/17/2017 / 3:30 PM – 4:15 PM / 149
ReDistrictedComics.com is a new serialized online anthology that focuses on lesser-known historical stories about Washington, D.C. The site has caught the attention of students, teachers and historians. Join editor Matt Dembicki (District Comics, Trickster, Wild Ocean) for a panel conversation with local educators, historians and community leaders on how the website and its resources are being using as teaching tools inside and outside classrooms.
Panelists: Matt Dembicki, Jason Rodriguez, Jane Freundel Levey, Mary Ann Zher, Eric Cervini
LIVE Carolyn and Joe Show Podcast "400th Episode"
6/18/2017 / 11:00 AM – 11:45 AM / 154
The Carolyn and Joe Show podcast celebrate their 400th episode! Every year one of the best times at Awesome Con is the live recording of The Carolyn and Joe Show podcast in front of a LIVE Awesome Con audience. They've had special guests from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Pulp Fiction, Renowned Animation voices and Walking Dead Actors. This is a panel/recording/live show like no other and it's the 400th episode. What in the world could possibly happen this year?
Panelists: Carolyn Belefski, Joe Carabeo
Alien Art with Dawn Griffin
6/18/2017 / 12:00 PM – 12:45 PM / Awesome Con Jr.
Awesome Con Jr. will be transformed into an alien factory when cartoonist, Dawn Griffin, shows you easy ways to draw wacky aliens.
6/18/2017 / 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM / 149
Learn how to color comics just like the pros with Comic Book Digital Colorist, Arsia Rozegar (credits include Marvel's The Hulk and Iron Man). Arsia will demonstrate step-by-step techniques on how to color comic pages using Adobe Photoshop.
Panelist: Arsia Rozegar
ARKHAM FILES: SUPERVILLAIN PSYCHOSES Vol. 2
6/18/2017 / 2:00 PM – 2:45 PM / 154
Ever wonder what makes our favorite Batman villains tick? Well, look no further, as the folks behind last year's ARKHAM FILES: SUPERVILLAIN PSYCHOSES panel return to Arkham Asylum to discuss the possible psychoses for a BRAND NEW set of villains in Batman's rogues gallery!
If you thought last year's villain profiles were interesting, wait until you see what villains we profile in this sequel edition!
Panelists: Brandon Troy, Julian Lytle, Charles Samenow
Create Your Own Superhero Symbol with Carolyn Belefski
6/18/2017 / 2:00 PM – 2:45 PM / Awesome Con Jr.
Every hero needs a logo! Many superheroes have personal branding on their outfits and My Little Pony characters even have cutie marks! Join artist and designer Carolyn Belefski and learn how to incorporate graphic design elements to create an icon and establish your own powerful visual identity.