Monday, August 01, 2016

Studio Ghibli film fest at Angelika at Mosaic


Yesterday I watched Tales from Earhsea at the Angelika Film Center, in the Mosaic District in Fairfax, VA. The film was part of the annual Studio Ghibli Film Festival, which happens every summer. I was fortunate to learn about this seasonal event last year, allowing fans like myself to view their favorite Studio Ghibli movies on the big screen. As in the case with yesterday, it was the first time I saw Tales from Earthsea, a film that is absolutely stunning on the big screen. One of my all time favorites - a Studio Ghibli classic and early Miyazaki film, was Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - one I own on Blu Ray, but was able to fully appreciate after seeing and hearing it in a movie theater earlier this summer, at Angelika. It's good to note that last year, they didn't show Nausicaa, so I'm glad they decided to mix things up this time around!

As the schedule goes, each week they'll play a Studio Ghibli film twice, once on Saturday mornings at 11:00am, and again on Wednesday evenings at 7pm. On Saturdays, they'll show the English dubbed version, and on Wednesdays, for a film's second showing, they'll show the original Japanese version, with English subtitles. So, if I wanted to see Earthsea again, I could go this Wednesday evening and watch it in its original, Japanese form.

Sadly, this summer's line-up is almost done, however there a still a few more to see through August. If you're a fan of Studio Ghibli films, or great animation, or great movies in general, then get on over to the Angelika Film center at Mosaic before it's too late!

                                                                                                                  -Steve Loya

No comments: