Monday, March 15, 2010

Weingarten on 'Watch Your Head' comic strip

In "Past imperfect: Is Gene Weingarten old school or just old?" By Gene Weingarten, Washington Post Magazine March 14, 2010; W36, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/05/AR2010030503120.html, he says of the strip:

 
I consider myself an expert on newspaper comics; I can confidently deconstruct how a single panel of a 1939 Krazy Kat episode contained a sly foreshadowing of the anomie that would come to define the beat generation. But my own newspaper is now running a new strip, "Watch Your Head," that is hip and modern and filled with ironic detachment; therefore, I not only cannot understand the jokes, but I cannot tell for sure which characters are male and which are female. Hip people like this strip.

 

No comments: