Thursday, May 14, 2009

Politics and Prose starts graphic novel group

The new Politics and Prose newsletter has some graphic novel recommendations (see May 14th entry) and the announcement of...

New Graphic Novel Book Group

P&P’s new Graphic Novel Reading Group will begin meeting the fourth Wednesday of each month. Please contact Adam Waterreus at awaterreus@politics-prose.com for information if you would like to join.

I wrote to Adam who responded with these details:

The group will meet on the fourth Wednesday of every month starting in June at 7:30pm. It will be led by myself, and possibly Thad Ellerbe, the other Graphic Novel buyer/enthusiast at the store. I'm hoping to read a variety of work, from superhero, to lit, experimental, word-less, manga, all of it as long as it's intriguing and fun to talk about. I decided on Ex Machina volume 1 by Brian Vaughn for the first book because it melds a good superhero premise with character driven/political plotting, not to mention it's accessible (for those unsure about reading a graphic novel) and cheap, $9.99, (for those with light wallets). Hopefully it goes well. I'm thinking that in the future the group might discuss to figure out what we'll read next, or maybe do themed readings...I don't know. One of the perks of the book-group will be that if you buy the book-group book from Politics and Prose you'll get a 20% discount.

So that sounds promising, doesn't it? I'll try to make it, and, although I've read that book and don't remember being overly impressed one way or another, I think Adam's made a good choice.

No comments: