Thursday, March 19, 2009

My thoughts on Watchmen

So I finally saw the Watchmen movie last night. For years, I've been saying that 1.) this is not a comic book to recommend to a beginning reader of comics and 2.) I don't know who'd they'd expect to see this movie because you really have to care about superheroes.

I stand by those statements.

I also enjoyed the movie, but I've been reading comic books for over thirty years.

I liked it fine for what it was - a lavish, yet slavish, adaptation of a comic book of limited interest to a broader public.

Snyder's second comic book adaptation followed the path of 300, his first - he used the comic book as a storyboard and made a visually-stunning movie. Watchmen is lush and lovely and just ooozes thoughtful caring. And I appreciated that. And about 1/3 of the readers of this blog probably will as well.

But if you didn't grow up on superhero comic books (movies don't count), this probably isn't the movie for you.

No comments: